Wednesday, October 02, 2002

My cover letter for the DU swim coaching job

Brian Colleary
Director of Athletics
Duquesne University
600 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15282

Dear Mr. Colleary,

Please consider this letter, resume and associated information as an application for the open position of Head Coach for the Men's Swimming and Diving Team and Aquatics Director.

I am excited about the possibilities of becoming a member of the Duquesne Athletic Department. I think my qualifications and goals match the position.

I've coached NCAA Division I Men's Teams for six seasons. Additionally, the aquatic management position matches my desires and experiences. I have the necessary CPO (Certified Pool Operator) as well as CAM (Certified Aquatic Manager) credentials.

The combination of positions with coaching and aquatics is exactly what I am looking for at this time. As you will see from my resume, I have a strong background in coaching and pool management.

When I met my wife and moved back to Pittsburgh I was combining my love and knowledge of coaching and swimming with my degree in journalism into a book publishing business. When we decided to start a family, I decided to take the lead role in our children's care while my wife pursued tenure at the University of Pittsburgh. In the past year my wife has received tenure and our boys are school age. I had decided to go back into coaching full time and as you can see, I have re-certified in all necessary areas.

The posting of his job comes at an ideal time -- a time when I want to coach at the college level, run a pool in a manner that includes service to the community, and stay in the Pittsburgh area where we are surrounded by a large, wonderful family.

This is an ideal opportunity. I know many of the elements of the community and live less than one mile from the campus. I think my background and awareness of local matters will be a great asset.

The Rauterkus family has a strong history at Duquesne University. My grandfather, Joseph A. Rauterkus, Ph.D., was asked by the President of the University to found the School of Music. He did so and continued to teach and develop programs for DU and the larger community for many years. His son, my father, graduated with a teaching degree from DU and spent his career teaching in the Pittsburgh Public Schools.

My participation at DU has included assistance to the Head Volleyball Coach in the development, publishing and duplication of his team's playbook for a number of seasons. I worked at volleyball events and was the announcer for some matches.

I'd love to join your team in the Athletic Department, I think the match is going to be warmly welcomed as my talents and approach blend well with the mission of DU. I have applied myself in efforts to prepare others by stressing broad, well-balanced, integrated education and perspective of themselves and the world. These messages are woven into my being and the DU mission. The mission to disseminate knowledge within a moral and spiritual framework in order to prepare leaders has always been central in my life.

I'll be a dependable and effective recruiter, promoter and outreach advocate for Duquesne University on many fronts. I hope to make a lasting impact with the institution that extends well beyond the successes for the Men's Swim Team.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sincerely Yours,

Mark Rauterkus

No comments: