Monday, June 27, 2005

Fatal Error: Can't run new game, Lego Star Wars, the video game

Fatal error:
sorry, but your machine is unable to run this game. It requires a praphics card which supports Pixel Shaders v 1.1. this game will now exit.

The computer was purchased six months ago, in December 2004. It is a Compaq Presario, 3200+. The display adapter is VIA/S3G UniChrome 1GP driver version 6.14.10.194.

The game's developer is Eidos.com.

Skinny on the game at Download.com isn't good. I read how many others are also in the same pickle. But, if it works, the game seems nice.

Support at Compaq's chat, just now, was hopeless and without a clue. If the system works with other games then there isn't a problem with the computer. I'm not looking to fix blame, yet. I'm looking to fix the problem.

I saw a few more mentions in the read me file. But, I can't get to that unless I install the game on another computer. The other PC, same age, different maker, gave the same error. That PC is an Emachine. That PC has a different make of video card. The game is on this computer -- but -- I can't get to the read me file.

Bottom line: DO NOT PURCHASE THE GAME: Lego Star Wars. Don't do it. Be sure you can get over the hurdle with Pixel Shaders v1.1.
One report says TARGET won't take it back as a return.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your recent use of HP Real-time Chat Support. For your records, we have provided a complete transcript of your chat session below.

NOTE: Please do not reply to this automatically generated message.

If you need further assistance, you can initiate another chat session at http://www.hp.com/support/chat, or you can access other HP support options at http://www.hp.com/go/assistance.





Chat Transcript Begins Here
--------------------------------------------------------------

Sammy M
Welcome to HP Total Care for HP Pavilion Desktops.My name is Sammy.How may I assist you today?


Mark Rautekrus
I'm trying to figure out about Pixel Shaders 1.1 -- to play a new game for my kid.


Mark Rautekrus
The game gives an error. I think that this might be a video card issue.


Sammy M
Could you please give me a detailed description of the problem to assist you better?


Mark Rautekrus
Lego Star Wars video game, error says I need Pixel Shaders 1.1. Then won't play. I saw some noise on Download.com about this matter.


Sammy M
What is the model number of your computer?


Sammy M
Where you able to play the game previously?


Mark Rautekrus
Video = VIA/S3G uniChrom 1GP - driver version 6.14.10.194 in a Compaq Presario, 3200+


Mark Rautekrus
Not able to pl ay game at all. :(


Sammy M
Okay.


Sammy M
Mark, could you type in the exact error message this would help us to troubleshoot better.


Mark Rautekrus
The error messages (non exact) says can't play game as the computer needs Pixel Shaders 1.1.


Mark Rautekrus
The game box says video is 100% okay with DirectX 9. Is that in there?


Sammy M
Okay.


Sammy M
Do you have problem playing other games?


Mark Rautekrus
No.


Sammy M
Okay.


Sammy M
May I have a few minutes, while I research this issue? I will get back to you as soon I finish.


Sammy M
Could you give me the complete model number of the system?


Mark Rautekrus
Can you email Mark04@Rauterkus.com -- thanks. Game developer is Eidos.com


Mark Rautekrus
Model number? Is there a way to send the data to you with a connection utility?


Mark Rautekrus
3200+ ADM , 512 mb, 160 gig, DVD burner.


Sammy M
Mark, as you are able to play other games in the system this proves that your system is fine.


Mark Rautekrus
Come now. Pixel Shaders 1.1 --- can that be supported with my video card with a driver upgrade?


Sammy M
I suggest you to contact the game manufacturer to provide you with an update video driver so that you can play the game.


Mark Rautekrus
No, the game maker does not do hardward drivers.


Sammy M
Mark, only the game manufacturer can provide you with the updated drivers for your system.


Mark Rautekrus
You don't seem to know anything about pixel shaders 1.1 -- and you might want to do some research.


Mark Rautekrus
bye.


Sammy M
Mark, the drivers we have is not for the game.


Sammy M
The drivers are for the video card.


Sammy M
I apologize for the inconvenience but only the manufacturer of that particula r game can help you by providing the updated drivers.


Sammy M
We don't have the updated drivers for that particular game.


Sammy M
Is there any other technical issue I may assist you with?

Chat Transcript Ends Here

Mark Rauterkus said...

The video card drivers are not the responsiblitiy of the game maker.

The video game calls on an API. The card needs to run the software that is called.