Friday, August 19, 2005

Time to go home. Makes best sense to me.

Anti-war protester Cindy Sheehan calls her mother's stroke a "devastating blow" that has forced her to leave "Camp Casey" temporarily.

Sure, the stroke is a devastating blow. But it is well worth the exit.

People need to keep up the fight and avoid burn out. Too many times I've seen advocates get into a battle and leave it all on the battle field -- and be wiped out. You've got to fight the good fight as best you can -- and LIVE TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY.

Keep some of the forces at home. Be reasonable with yourself and your family. Be prudent. Take care of yourself and your loved ones, first.

I think it was a wise move for Sheehan to retreat. Her message got out. Her time there had concluded. Move on, even.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking as someone whose mother died fatally of a stroke over 2 years ago, I would never characterize it this way:

"Sure, the stroke is a devastating blow. But it is well worth the exit."

I didn't consider having to leave work (even after a weekend of working) as "well worth the exit."

Your choice of words sometimes is absolutely incredible.

-Wojo

Mark Rauterkus said...

Having a mother suffer a stroke is a worthy reason to rush to her side and exit the peace vigil in Texas.

The stoke is a devastating blow.

I think it was a wise decision to abandon the peace vigil to take care of her mother in her mother's time of need.

We agree.

My word choice is "absolutely incredible" -- and it is absolutely original. Thanks for the props.

Sorry about your mother.

Anonymous said...

Mark,

I appreciate the clarification, and your sympathies. While I still think you could have chosen your words better, I now understand what you meant.

-Wojo