Friday, June 30, 2006

Total Immersion Swimming - a marathon swim around NYC

Way to crow Terry. You're the man! Swimming is such a smart sport.
Total Immersion Swimming In June 2002, I swam the 28.5-mile Manhattan Island Marathon (MIMS), partially to celebrate completing a half century of life with a physical challenge. I also swam it to demonstrate how it was possible to easily complete a swim requiring considerable endurance by training for economy instead of super fitness. My first MIMS was a complete success. I enjoyed every mile, finished easily, took one-third fewer strokes than any other swimmer, and felt great the next day.
Meanwhile, we've got a relay meet in the AM. Got to be at South Fayette at 8:15 am check in for a meet at 9.

Boy, I hate this meet as I consider it a major waste of time. I didn't write up a letter to give to all the others on deck, as per my head coach's suggestion. I'll only offend. But I don't like to waste my time and go through motions -- like wasted strokes -- that don't really help in life.

Relays are an important part of swimming. Swimming isn't a team sport. But, a relay only event that is without real challenges is not welcomed.

Now, I post this the night before, not because I don't want a meet. No way. We really need a meet. But, so I can eat my words in less than 24 hours if I get it all wrong. If the meet experience turns out to be different, I'll blog about it. End of the pool. Corner of the world. This aint Manhattan pal.

No comments: