Friday, November 10, 2006

A party man once more. Georgia guy, Bill Ferguson

I love the opening graph in his column:
This election season passed through us like a kidney stone - a very painful experience that we're all glad to have behind us.
The rest of the article works for me too.
KRT Wire | 11/09/2006 | A party man once more presents my viewpoint particularly well, and during the campaign season the mud-slinging completely turns me off to both sides. So there I am - a political free agent looking for a friendly port in the political storm.

And I've found that port, at least for the time being, with the Libertarian Party. I don't agree with every plank in their platform, but in general I think the spirit of small government and respect for individual liberty that first attracted me to the party of Reagan in the 1980s has found new life with the feisty Libertarians.

So this year I voted for the Libertarian in every race where that option was available. If any Republican or Democrat in those races had convinced me that they deserved my vote it was there to be had, but none of them came close to doing so.

Go ahead - tell me I threw my vote away. Tell me I wasted my time with a lost cause. I'll answer back that I voted my conscience. I'll answer back that although I am disgusted with the two party system, I still believe in this country. I still believe in our potential.

No comments: