Thursday, March 01, 2007

Black male teacher more than an anomaly

Black male teacher more than an anomaly Last year, he was offered a position as an interim principal in the Duquesne City School District, as well as the principal’s position at Westinghouse High School. He turned both down.

“I couldn’t take an interim position,” he said. “And I don’t think I was ready for Westinghouse, or high school period. That’s a big step for a first-year administrator. Now middle school, that’s not a problem. That’s what I do.”
Wonderful news. Wonderful decision.

The Pittsburgh Region often feeds its young to the trash heap of life. When a star is found, it needs to be advanced in due time. I don't want people like him to burn out. I'm happy he said "NO."

The teacher ratio -- that is another story. Point 39 percent. Ouch. That is a PAINFUL fact. Not 39 percent. But .39 percent.

Could that be true?

No comments: