Monday, August 20, 2007

Pregnant athlete OK'd to play just before giving birth

Pregnant athlete OK'd to play just before giving birth A pregnant Mercyhurst College student-athlete passed a sports physical and was cleared to play volleyball two days before giving birth, police said today.

The 18-year-old sophomore, whose baby was later found dead in her on-campus apartment, participated in what police called a 'light workout' the day before the Aug. 12 birth -- even though investigators would later determine she was 39 1/2 weeks pregnant at the time.
I know volleyball. I published books on volleyball. Women's college volleyball isn't the place for a women who is six, seven, eight or nine months pregnant. I think that is fair to say.

How can the coaches not see what's up with her?

How can a doctor not see?

I'm glad that the NCAA does not have a policy on barring pregnant athletes. Fine. But this birth seems to be a mystery to everyone involved.

NCAA rules require physicals for first-time college sports participants. In subsequent years, student-athletes can just update their medical information to remain eligible, Ms. Dent said. Okay. Perhaps she was a sophomore. I think that was what was reported. Okay, perhaps she had not had her first practice. Perhaps she skipped. I don't know.

Frankly, I don't care much about the policy investigation as I do about the care of the player / student / woman. And, I care for sanity.

I hope that common sense did not die -- as did the baby.

No comments: