Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®
Contact: Stephen MacIsaac, Executive Director FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tel. 412.363.1914 office - Tel. 412.519.6793 cell
'LIGHTS ON AFTERSCHOOL' EVENT CELEBRATES CITY-WIDE PROGRAMMING
After-school programs to be celebrated through national awareness campaign
This event, one of 7,500 similar events nation-wide, is part of the Afterschool Alliance's effort to raise awareness about the importance of afterschool programming. It is an exciting chance to learn more about programs taking place in the community, and it a great opportunity this year to show support for American youth.
Afterschool programming plays a significant role in
· 26 % of
· The hours between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. show the highest instance of juvenile crime and experimentation with drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and sex (Fight Crime: Invest in Kids, 2002)
· 32 % of PA Children not in an afterschool program would attend, were one available. (
Activities will include:
· "Best Practices" Showcase: An opportunity to see afterschool programs in action!
· Provider Fair: Meet the community partners who make afterschool programs possible
· Youth Entertainment: Our kids aren't just smart, they're talented too!
· Guest Speakers: Local leaders share how afterschool programs have affected their lives.
This event is hosted by Wireless Neighborhoods, Bloomfield-Garfield Corporation,
When: Thursday, October 21, 2010
4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
For more information on Wireless Neighborhoods, please visit www.wireless-neighborhoods.org.