Light-Up Night Fireworks Paddle
When: Friday, November 19, 2010 7:00 PM
Where: Newport Marina
929 W. North Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15233
Pittsburgh's Light-Up Night has changed a lot over the years. Originally a kickoff for the Downtown Christmas shopping season, it's becoming a real festival, with stage shows, parades, the lighting of Christmas light displays, a big party on the Clemente Bridge with food and music. And of course, since this is Pittsburgh, fireworks! Join us for a short November paddle up the Ohio River to Downtown to check out the festivities and watch the fireworks.
We'll put in at the ramp at Newport Marina on the North Side. It will be a short 1.5-mile paddle up to the Roberto Clemente Bridge. There will be lots of activity on the bridge, people all along the riverfront, and boats lit up with Christmas lights. Let's be part of the spectacle! I'm lighting up my kayak with one or two strings of battery-powered LED Christmas lights, $10 each at Target (among other places).
The water will be 50 degrees, so everyone should think a little about safety. PFD's are mandatory, as always. Wear a wet suit or dry suit if you have one. If not, you should at least bring a change of clothes in a dry bag, just in case you take an accidental swim. I'll have my marine radio on board, bring yours if you have one. Worst case, if one of us went in the cold water and had difficulty getting back in their boat, River Rescue would be a couple of minutes away.
- Come across the Ft. Duquesne Bridge (or down I-279 from the North Hills) onto Rt. 65 North.
- Take the Chateau Street exit at the West End Bridge interchange.
- Follow Chateau St 1/2-mile.
- Stay to the left, and take the U-turn under the highway onto Beaver Avenue.
- Two blocks ahead, turn right onto North Avenue.
- Meet in the parking lot on the right, at the end of North Ave.
- The marina is across the parking lot, along the riverfront trail.
This is the last-chance paddling event of the year for all but the most hard-core kayakers. Last year, there were two dozen kayakers on the water, at night, late in November. This year, I'm sure there will be more. It's a fun event - hope you can make it!
RSVP to this Meetup: