From: Chris Popovic
For those of you that missed the 2012 ACA Awards Banquet, the night was filled with fun, food, some great costumes and a few surprise announcements. I'd like to highlight one of those items that will bring more racing to the Bud Harris Cycling Track in 2012.
ACA Member, ABRA Founder and all-around cycling guy J.R. Petsko has agreed to assist the ACA in expanding our race schedule in 2012. J.R. will be running the ACA Saturday racing series that will include a minimum of ten (10) racing dates during our 22 week season. As many of you know, J.R. is the master of soul-crushing, yet fun race courses. The ACA is proud to have J.R.'s excitement and leadership with us as we go forward into our 41st of promoting bicycle racing in Western PA.
J.R. will be running five (5), count 'em five (5) individual race classes for the 10 race Saturday series. Race classes are:
- Race 1 - Juniors
- Race 2 - Men Cat 5
- Race 3 - Women Open
- Race 4 - Men 3/4
- Race 5 - Men 1/2/3
- All races will be run independently. There will be no mixing of Juniors, Women, etc., unless of course the rider's license allows them to race in the respective class.
- Dates for the races are set on Saturdays from April to September. Get these on your race calendars now: 4/14, 5/12, 5/19, 6/2, 6/9, 6/30, 7/14, 8/4, 8/18, 9/1
- Races will begin at 9 a.m. Saturday morning through noon. Registration will be earlier of course.
- Race length and specific class times will vary depending upon weather, attendance, etc.
- Race formats will be left up to J.R. We're sure he'll get to express his devious side in coming up with interesting deviations on the standard 'round and 'round format.
- There will be a season pass available.
- Series Winners WILL earn an ABRA series Champion jersey plus other cash and prizes.
- Payout at each race depends on reg #'s for that day.
- Race costs will be similar to the ACA format or as close as we can budget.
- We are looking for officials and volunteers to help support the Saturday series. Please contact J.R. (email@example.com) or myself (firstname.lastname@example.org) if interested.
Thank you J.R. for stepping in to help expand our series. 2012 is going to be a great year for racing in Western PA.
Chris Popovic, 2012 ACA President