Who: Cyclists -- road, recreation, commuter, race, triathlon. All who legally share the road.
What: The Pittsburgh arm of the worldwide Ride Of Silence™ bike rally. See http://rideofsilence.org
• to honor those cyclists injured or killed on public roadways
• to raise awareness of cyclists on the road
• to demonstrate responsible road sharing
• to show that cyclists are not going away
When: Wednesday, May 16, 2011, 7:00 PM. Gather at 6:45 PM (evening)
RAIN DATE: Monday, May 28, 2011, 6:45 AM (morning).
Check the WPW website (www.wpwbikeclub.org) for clarification if weather seems iffy.
Pittsburgh start location: Southside - 26th & Sidney (behind REI).
Route is 10 miles, roughly http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/34042598/
THE RIDE OF SILENCE WILL NOT BE QUIET
• On the third Wednesday of May around the world, cyclists will take to the roads in a silent protest of the carnage taking place on the streets.
• Chris Phelan organized the first Ride Of Silence in Dallas in
· 2003 after endurance cyclist Larry Schwartz was killed by a passing bus mirror on an empty road.
• The Ride Of Silence is a free ride that asks its cyclists to ride at a slow pace and remain silent during the ride.
• The ride hopes to raise cycling awareness during bike safety month to motorists, police, traffic engineers, insurance companies, and city officials. The ride is also a chance to mourn, in funeral procession style, those who have already been killed.
• The ride requests black arm bands be worn, red only if you have had a bike/motor vehicle accident. Helmets are required; bright clothing and lights are highly recommended for the ride home. There are no fees charged anyone to participate.
How we will ride in Pittsburgh:
• Double file, side by side, keeping to a single lane, and to the right of the yellow line where it exists. (Most of the roads we will use do not have lanes wide enough to safely share) Stop and wait at all red lights - we're a big group and will undoubtedly be breaking up and regrouping as we go along. If there is slower traffic in the lane, we'll just wait for it.
• Please bring bikes in good repair, as there will be no official mechanical support or transportation.
• Helmets are required. Ipods and the like are frowned upon.
• Children aged 12 and under should be in trailers, trail-a-bikes, tandems or the like, not riding independently.
• This ride takes place on city streets, with potholes, surface hazards, motor vehicles and other cyclists riding in close proximity.
• Participants must use their own judgment and be responsible for their own safety. If at any time, you feel that you can no longer participate safely, please pull off the route and wait until the rest of the ride has passed.
Pittsburgh Ride of Silence Contact for 2012: Jim Logan (email@example.com)
The Pittsburgh Ride of Silence is endorsed by Western Pennsylvania Wheelmen, Bike Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Major Taylor Cycling Club, and Flock of Cyclists.
The endorsers and organizer are bearing NO responsibility (financial or otherwise) for the ride. By endorsing it, we are simply stating we believe in the stated goals.