Alarm bells are ringing and red flags are waving with me in recent weeks within certain political circles when it comes to issues we all know and love at the Market House.
Your help is needed in urgent ways. We must swell our base of influence and support among ourselves and in the community.
The Market House Athletic Association has regular meetings on the first Wednesday of the month at 6:30 pm. Your attendance at these meetings is welcomed.
Special Meeting to Address Critical Opportunities
Please attend a community meeting at the Market House on Tuesday, March 9 at 7:30 pm.
Reasons for Alarm and Input:
- A Coalition among many sports, fitness and recreation groups has been formed.
- A $30 Million Sports Performance compound by UPMC is in planning stages.
- A Grant of new funds of $30,000, now inflated to $75,000, has been mentioned.
- The building of additional fields and upgrading existing fields is possible.
- The expansion of the bike-path and river walk is going to occur.
- Green-space enhancements are expected.
Aggressive, Global Insights Put Forth by a Position Paper Need Discussions:
- A New Aerobics Center for Seniors is being suggested.
- A New Indoor Aquatics Center is needed in Pittsburgh.
- A New Parking Garage, being denied by the Mayor, is possible for the South Side.
City Council and Public Schools Issues Surfacing:
- After-school activities are getting more attention from in the wake of recent shootings.
- The removal of all Swim-Pool Fees for all citizens (or kids only) is being voted upon.
- An out-of-town ballplayers' tax to raise more than $250,000 is earmarked for a new Public Parks Trust Fund.