Wednesday, July 23, 2003

Following in my dad's footsteps -- teacher letter from a former student.

To: Mark@Rauterkus.com

Date: Mon, Jun 23, 2003, 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: Hi Mark

Hi Mark:

Nice to hear from you. I take it your working with the school board also?
Hopefully following in your dads steps.

I don't have any real memories that stood out, but your dad, or as we use to call him, "Leo", behind his back of course, was a truly outstanding person and teacher, he a good teacher to have, the teachers of today could take a lesson from him.

Your dad had his hands full, he was a teacher at a volatile time, with many changes, busing just started but he and a select few articulated through it with no problem. I can remember your dad to this day, and I am 47, he use to walk around the class with his pipe, keeping his eye on me and Russell Simon and a few others, but it was just kid stuff. .

One teacher that taught at Swisshelm Park that will stick out in my mind was Mary Kay Ambrose, she was brutal, use to smack kids in the hand with a ruler when she got mad at them, and kids where allways getting sick in her class.
Do you remember Paul Pollack? James Wilson? Jack Eisley the Custodian?
'What about Ms. Purtell? Ms. Malloy? Ms. Lowy? Mr. Aber? Patrick Koch?
Swisshelm School had to be a good duty assignment for the teachers, it was like we were all family, I could not believe when my mom told me that they were tearing it down, I was in the Army at Fort Hood, Texas, it was tnflysad. -
After I got out of the Army, I worked for the school board, I was a Bus Aide, assigned to Washington Vocational, and did a brief tour at Glad Stone. I truly enjoyed the board but not as a Para Professional, they were good to work for.
I am currently working full time for the Port Authority of Allegheny County as a Bus Operator, and have a Private Detectives Business on the side, I am currently residing in West Deer Township (Russellton), which I just moved to last month after living in the city for my whole life.
l hope your dad is enjoying his retirement, he deserved it and that you hav e a good career, and if you should be working for the board now, I wish you luck, I have absolutely no confidence in your administration, your union will have its Work out out for them.
Take Care Mark and tell your dad i said, "Hi" bye hope to hear from you again.
Al Menanko

No comments: