Tuesday, January 08, 2019

Fwd: Interesting comparables on the evil neoliberal concept

----- Forwarded message ---------
From: John H

In recent weeks I have been asked on a few occasions what I mean when I refer to neoliberalism and why is it I tend to disparage it in operation.  Therefore, in order to help clear up this perplexing question I have attached two articles.  The first is an account of the rise of the 'Yellow Vest' movement in France which discusses what happens to a society when political ideology of neoliberalism is imposed from above (and it always is imposed from above).  One of the best ways to understand neoliberalism is to watch how it operates and observe the consequences of its imposition.  This is fairly clear in the 'Yellow Vest' protests and it is quite similar to how it works here and elsewhere in the world.  This may be one of the most important movements how happening in the world.  It is in the line of watch what I do and not what I say examination of neoliberalism.

The second piece, for those of you who like detailed explanations, is by Dr. Philip Mirowski of Notre Dame University, one of, if not the foremost, experts on neoliberalism today.  It is fairly long, and should you take the time to read it, you will understand why it is that neoliberalism is so difficult to define in just a few well-chosen words. 

For what it's worth, my shorthand definition of neoliberalism is 'corporate communism'.  Parse that one out for a while.

John

Links