Tuesday, March 04, 1980

Jeff Tarr, OU Swimmer does the 1650


Sports News
TIM HILL
Ohio University
Sports Information 103 Convocation Center, Athens, Ohio 45701 Phone, Office: 614/594-5031 
March 4, 1980
ATHENS, Ohio...... 

Imagine 1650 yards of freestyle swimming.

That's more than 16 minutes of agony in the water. Consider the physical strain, the mental drain, and the fact that you'll probably gulp more water than air.
So goes the swimming life of Ohio University’s Jeff Tarr, as he prepares for the Mid-American Conference Swimming Championships, March 6-8, 1980, at Bowling Green. 
During his first two swimming campaigns at Ohio, Tarr swam in the shorter freestyle races and an occasional long-distance race with standout Daniel Wolokita.
But when Wolokita did not return this season, Tarr was given the chore of both the 1,000 and 500-yard freestyle competition in preparation for the Mid-American Conference marathon, the 1,650-yard freestyle.
Tarr has covered the 1000-yard race in 10:13, his best-ever in a dual-meet competition. He also has covered the 500-yard freestyle in 4:57 this season.
Bobcat Swimming Coach Fletch Gilders appreciates Tarr's tireless efforts: "Jeff has proved all season that he can endure the long race. During his first two years here, he was an excellent sprinter. Out of necessity he has become our long- distance swimmer."
Tarr noted:
Has the changeover been difficult? "Practice always is kind of depressing, knowing the long distance that I have to cover, but I realize that my physical and mental preparation have to be constant, especially if I'm going to go it or not during my races.
In the competition, time sheets of the opponents' efforts are available, and "this helps me prepare for my race," the Lima Shawnee graduate pointed out, "but I can't worry about their times, because I'm swimming my own race as well as pacing the good distance men in the league.
Mentally and physically, you have to pace yourself in these long races, the business administration student stressed, "making sure you don't start out too fast or too slow.
"I've got to keep a tab on myself as well as the opposition," he said, adding, 
"I'm swimming against not only my opponents but also against myself. If you don't, that's when they blow by you.
Tarr counts on the "lap counters" during his races so he knows the distance left and how much effort to put forth down the stretch.
"It's easy to lose track, and you rely on their info so you can give it what is needed," he said.
Tarr swam a 17:13 in the MAC 1,650-yard race last year, a race that he will compete in only once this season. The marathon is only completed at the MAC Championships.
Although Gilders is somewhat skeptical, Tarr feels he can produce a 16:30 time in the event, 43 seconds faster than last season.
So goes the swimming life of Jeff Tarr: a 1650-yard race in the water, a 66-lap race at a 15-second pace. Gulp!



 

No comments: