Sunday, August 13, 2006

Statement of Michael Morrill Concerning the PA Green Collaboration with the Santorum Campaign - 8/11/2006

Some excellent food for thought from a past citizen candidate.
Statement of Michael Morrill Concerning the PA Green Collaboration with the Santorum Campaign - 8/11/2006 First, let me state unequivocally that I have not asked Carl Romanelli to resign from the US Senate race. While I am profoundly disappointed in his recent choices, I do not think it is my business to ask Carl to withdraw. The decision about whether to stay in the race is solely Carl’s and should be based on whether his sense of morality and ethics will allow him to continue the race in good conscience.

Second, I also want to register my absolute outrage at Pennsylvania’s egregious ballot access requirements. There is no justification whatsoever for asking independent candidates and emerging parties to gather more than 30 times more signatures than the two old parties. Requiring that many signatures is merely an attempt to keep people with different ideas off the ballot. Unfortunately, it is a successful strategy as evidenced by the inability of third parties and independents to gain any statewide ballot positions this year.

No comments: