Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Great reasons to avoid any permit parking on the South Side

This comes from a friend on Facebook.

Back in November, I was visiting my parents and had their visitor;s pass on my dash. When I went to my car, I had a ticket for 'expired visitor's permit.' The permit was visible and clearly had valid dates (in fact, that particular pass became effective on Nov 1). I scheduled a hearing at traffic court. Before doing so, though, I called the PPA and complained. I was told that the parking enforcement officer ticketed me for having two expired stickers on my rear drivers side window (from when the permits used to be stickers, not placards). The parking officer even took photos of my window. I forgot they were even still on the window, but that still doesn't change the fact that the placard on my dash was valid and visible. At court, the magistrate produced the photos which were in my file and reduced the fine down to $20, which I paid, even though I thought the whole thing was bullshit. Heck, I've seen cars with a dozen of those old stickers on their windows. Someone recently sent me a picture of such a car -- it had at least six stickers -- that is regularly parked in almost the exact spot, in front of my parent's house, where I was ticketed. The car didn't have a ticket. And there are other cars without valid permits and parked for months without being moved that aren't being ticketed. Those jagoffs will come along and ticket someone visiting their parents, with a valid placard, though. This parking permit program only added another layer of useless bureaucratic shit and enables even more harassment of visitors to our city. My advice would be to do whatever you can to nix this plan because once you have it, it is nearly impossible to get rid of.

No comments: