Sunday, December 02, 2012

Fwd: Coach Pat

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Megan Netland via Change.org" <mail@change.org>
Date: Dec 1, 2012 9:24 AM
Subject: Coach Pat
To: <mark@rauterkus.com>

 
Change.org
My hero, Pat Summitt, is the winningest coach in the history of basketball -- men's or women's -- and she's suffering from Alzheimer's. Join me in asking the NCAA to name the women's championship trophy after Coach Pat.
Sign Megan's Petition

Mark -

Patricia Summitt is my hero. She's a basketball legend -- the winningest coach in the history of the game. She basically built the sport of women's basketball from scratch, and fought all her life to make sure women and girls have the opportunity (and funding) to play sports.

I grew up playing basketball and idolizing Coach Pat. When she took over the job of head coach at the University of Tennessee in 1974 -- at the age of 22 -- women's basketball wasn't an Olympic sport or even officially recognized by the NCAA. Coach Pat changed all that, and 38 years later, she has eight NCAA championships and an Olympic gold medal.

It breaks my heart that Coach Pat had to step down earlier this year due to her struggle with Alzheimer's. Women's basketball as we know it wouldn't exist without her, and I think the NCAA should do something special to honor her incredible legacy.

That's why I started a petition on Change.org calling on the NCAA to name the women's college basketball championship trophy after Coach Pat. Will you click here to add your name?

Currently, the championship trophy isn't named after anyone. In fact, only one NCAA women's basketball trophy is named after someone, and that person is a man! It would be so easy for the NCAA to give Coach Pat this honor, and I know it would mean so much to her.

When I was a little girl in Iowa, Pat Summitt made me want to do bigger things in my life. I wanted to play for her. I wanted to be her. Coach Pat deserves this honor now, while she can still be here to see it.

I know other petitions on Change.org have helped women's sports -- last year, a petition even helped women in Olympic boxing stop being forced to wear skirts while competing! I know that if enough people sign my petition, we can convince the NCAA to honor Coach Pat.

Click here to sign my petition calling on the NCAA to name the women's college basketball championship trophy after Pat Summitt, the legendary coach who made women's basketball what it is today.

Thank you,

Megan Netland
Minneapolis, MN

This email was sent by Change.org to mark@Rauterkus.com   |   Start a petition
Unsubscribe. Edit your email notification settings.

No comments: