Monday, March 30, 1992

To the Plum AD

March 30, 1992


Athletic Director

Plum High School


Dear Mr. Robert Terlinski,


I'd like to be considered for the position of head swim coach for the 1992-93 season. I was happy with my first season at Plum, and I’d like to do it again next year.

There are a number of changes that I’d like to make for next season. Here is a quick list of the three most important changes that I have in mind for next season.

First, I’m hopeful that my discussion with the the Plum administration, and perhaps the school board, will lead to the creation of a new position for myself. However, even if we do not come to common ground, I am still most interested in returning as head coach, just as I was this season, with the same set of responsibilities.


Second, I’d like to make plenty of changes to the seasonal meet schedule. We should not have any exhibition meets if we are again forced to hold two meets with each team in our section. However, I’m under the impression that this requirement is going to change from the WPIAL office.


Third, I want to be able to give my input into the review of this season’s staff and be able to interview all potential assistant swim candidates and a diving coach, should Fred decide not to apply for the job for next season.


Sincerely Yours,


SPORTS SUPPORT SYNDICATE, INC.

Mark Rauterkus, President




Published Books and Software Specifically Related to

Swimming & Diving


Tide Teamwork

Authors: Don Gambril and Jonty Skinner


Sprint Salo

Author: David C. Salo, Ph.D.


How to Prevent Shoulder Injuries for Swimmers

Author: Mick Nelson


A Grammar for Training Female Sprinters

Author: Randall Radic


Inside Diving (pending)

Author: Hobie Billingsley


Swimming — Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow

Authors: Bill Wadley & Robert J.H. Kiphuth


Swimmer Improved!

Authors: Kurte Wile, Orjen Madsen, Randa Ryan, John Witchel, Jay Mortenson, Jeff Kostoff


Organizing Our Workouts

Author: Charles “Skip” Bird


Mastering Masters Swimming

Author: George Bole


A DAM Good Year

Authors: Davis Area Masters Coaches and Team


Workout Handler & Master Plan (re-release pending)

Author: Mark Rauterkus


Performance Bond (re-release pending)

Author: Mark Rauterkus

Colleges where Swimmers Coached


Further Points of Interest from Mark Rauterkus


In the event that I am offered the job as head swim coach, I will want you, as the Athletic Director, to assure me that we can accomplish the following start-up tasks. I would hope that your office could coordinate the following points the first month as they are necessary to give this first season a positive jump-start.

I will need to prepare and do my homework on all elements of the team. This study should be an in-depth project on my part to get up to speed as to, “what is what” and, “who is who.” As I'm learning, I'll want to give others an opportunity to meet me and for us all to share ideas that can help the program and further assist the athletes.


1. I will want to have an initial meeting with the High School Athletic Director, the YMCA director(s), YMCA coaches, YMCA swim team captain and YMCA parents club president.


2. I will want to have a brainstorming meeting with the Swim Parents group. Then I will want to have a follow-up meeting with the same group one week later. At that follow-up meeting, we will pick a parent to serve as a communication facilitator for the remainder of the year.


3. I want to have two dry-land seminars with all the swimmers interested in becoming members of the team. We should hold these meetings in a large classroom, perhaps on Saturday afternoons when most of the people are available. We will elect captains, get training handouts, suggest pre-season conditioning programs, and get to know one another.


4. I want to be a part of the process to hire the assistant coach and diving coach. I want to be able to have the authority to object to the hiring and be able to dismiss these people at any time without prior approval.


5. I want to ensure that the year-round swimmers have a suitable opportunity to excel in the Plum program. I am not certain what solutions will be necessary, and everything may already be in place, but these may include optional morning, afternoon or evening practices at other facilities, with the YMCA program, etc. I want to be open to what has been the opportunities in the past. However, I personally, will not be hosting morning practices. I want to guarantee that there will be a place on the team for dedicated swimmers who want to swim to the best of their abilities.

No comments: