Sunday, February 19, 2023

Fwd: 🚫🦩 No Flamingo: Locked out of the Super Bowl



---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Derek Jory <derek.jory@thecoachessite.com>
Date: Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 11:16 AM
Subject: 🚫🦩 No Flamingo: Locked out of the Super Bowl
To: <mark@rauterkus.com>


Last Sunday I was fortunate enough to cover the Super Bowl, but I was thiiiiis close to becoming a cautionary tale.
ENTER THE HOCKEY COACH VISION CONTEST!
Don't miss out on this opportunity! - Sign up now for the Free HCV contest and win an animated 3D coaching tool that will improve your organization!

I had the privilege and fortune of capturing and creating content for NFL Canada at Super Bowl LVII last Sunday. It was a bucket list dream to someday cover the Super Bowl and the experience was better than I ever could have imagined.

 

And yet, I was thiiiiiis close to becoming a cautionary tale.

 

I arrived in Phoenix Thursday and immediately picked up my credentials for the week. I asked if the piece of plastic handed to me with my grinning mug on it was all I needed for the week, and they said yes. Beautiful, let's cover some football.

 

Friday, all good. Saturday, all good. Sunday, oh no.

 

When I arrived at State Farm Stadium Sunday morning on the first media bus, I smiled and skipped my way to the media entrance. Made small talk as I went through security and felt a wave of pride come over me as I went to scan my credential into the building. They're on the stoplight system: green scan means go, red can means stop.

 

I heard a loud noise as if I had answered wrong on Jeopardy as the screen went red. I was led to the head credential honcho who was quick to inform me I did not have the correct credential. I needed a Game Day credential. 

 

Oh no, oh no, oh no no no no no.

 

As I guided myself through some Wim Hof breathing to keep from crying, I focused on the fact that I had three hours until kick off and I wasn't going down without a fight.

 

I checked my email and there it was: precise instructions on when, where and how to pick up my Game Day credential, which was to be done by 5 pm the day before. "There is no credential pick up at the stadium on Super Bowl Sunday."

 

Cool, cool, cool, cool, cool.

 

An hour of panicked phone calls, frantic emails and unhinged text messages later and I was in an Uber headed 20 minutes east to a place where the pass should be, and thank Vince Lombardi it was.

 

A quick ride back to the stadium and the moment of truth was upon me - would the pass scan green? As I approached the scanner, every security guard and employee who knew my sob story gathered around. The joyous cheers that rang out when the machine made a happy DING! sound and went green rivalled those of Kansas City Chiefs fans that night. 

 

I was in and I was reminded of an important lesson: proper preparation prevents poor performance. In the spirit of that, below are four pieces of content from The Coaches Site to ensure you're as prepared as possible with your team. 

 

As always, thanks for reading!

 

Derek Jory

Director of Content

7 Tips to Prepare for Success in the Big Game

 

Don't prepare to go out and beat up your opponent. Go out and stay in the present moment and have an I.P.R. when something bad happens.

3 Steps to Mentally Prepare your Team, with Dr. Preston

 

Do you have any athletes who get derailed by adversity? Athletes are human and a lot of them get into their own heads, as we all do.

Coach Agent Gil Scott on How to Prepare for Your Next Job

 

There's no instruction manual when it comes to finding your next coaching job or how to prepare for an interview, but it's a skill that all coaches need.

How do you Prepare your Team For Practice?

 

It's important that you come to the rink with a plan and process for getting players on the same page as you and your staff.

Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up here.

TCS_Logo_FINALoutline-3

Copyright © 2021, The Coaches Site, All rights reserved, BC, Canada

Unsubscribe Manage preferences

No comments: