Thursday, September 17, 2009

Working with Citiparks on Summer Dreamers, or not

9/17/09
to Duane

To Director of Citiparks:

Hi Director,

I saw that Mike R. was in the court room. Eeeks. Hope you all are not
snowed under too too bad.

I'd love to strike up a conversation with you about the Pgh Public
Schools RFP for summer 2010 enrichment.

The deadline for those RFPs / proposals is Oct 2. And, there is still
a good deal of red tape for me to navigate.

I'd like to see if it is possible to get some cooperation in the grant
/ proposal requests.

For instance, for the 5 weeks of the camp, July 12 to Aug 13, 2010,
we'd love to have a group of up to 25 kids use the Schenley Ice Rink
building as a possible classroom -- mainly in case of rain, from the
hours of 12:30 to 3:30. They would also run at the track and use the
park.

By all means, there are funds to pay for this but they have to be in
the budget. Federal stimulus funds are being spent.

I'd also like to see if we could deploy in our plans:

-- Bike Oval at Highland Park / Washington Road
-- Swim pool visits with a Lifeguard camp
-- Sports movies in an outdoor setting -- perhaps at a school / i.e.,
Movies in the parks
-- Market House for some special events
-- Sand volleyball courts at Highland Park Pool

Ashley, Duane 

9/18/09
to me
Mark...I already have staff pulling together a proposal of sorts based
on our past involvement with the School District.  However, a two
pronged approached might not be a bad idea........However, I sincerely
think that they already know who they will fund...and it won't be us.

Mark Rauterkus 

9/18/09
to Duane
Hi,

I do not know what proposals and providers the PPS will fund and who
they will not fund????  But, it seems to me that PPS is just new to
this range of activities and are grabbing for a lot at first blush --
up to 2,500 kids or so. Wow. That's huge. If that is the case, then
they'll need everyone's help.

If possible, I'd love to meet with Citiparks staffers who are working
on the PPS summer 2010 enrichment opportunities / RFP. Who is pulling
this together for you?

Furthermore, I know that the main new employees of the PPS had a
meeting with the folks at Phillips Elem as to what they've done in
cooperation with Citiparks in the past years. There is a great success
story with Citiparks and PPS at Phillips with Mr. Netchi the principal
there and your staffers. Well done. That is a large part of the model.

But, my questions still remain about me organizing a camp experience
and trying to deploy some Citiparks spaces for the activities.

No comments: