I wasn't expecting this email.
A few months ago, I spent an afternoon with a high school swim coach introducing her swimmers to Dual Boards.
The initial feedback was exactly what I hoped to hear.
Several swimmers said they felt higher in the water.
Others noticed improvements in body position.
A couple even dropped time at their very next meet.
As rewarding as that was, it wasn't the part of her email that stayed with me.
A few days later she wrote something I never expected.
She told me she hadn't really been swimming for herself in more than fifteen years.
Like many former swimmers, coaching had gradually replaced swimming. Life got busy. The years went by.
She got in the water to evaluate Dual Boards.
Then she got back in again.
And again.
At one point she wrote:
"Maybe I actually like swimming and being in the water?"
Then she shared something that genuinely stopped me.
"The Boards were part of getting me back in the water, and I didn't see that coming."
She went on to swim 2,000 yards with fellow coaches.
She started looking into a summer pool membership.
She found herself enjoying the water again.
As an inventor, I spend a lot of time thinking about body position, balance, and technique.
As a swimmer, I still love chasing faster times.
But this reminded me that swimming has always been about something much bigger.
Sometimes it isn't about dropping time.
Sometimes it isn't about winning.
Sometimes it's simply about reconnecting with something you thought you'd left behind.
Thank you, Coach Kristen, for trusting me with your story—and for allowing me to share it.
It reminded me why I started this journey in the first place.
See you at the pool!
No comments:
Post a Comment