Sunday, February 19, 2006

Casey - Santorum - and Chuck P

The Dems must be pulling out their hair trying to figure out what in the world to do with Casey and the challenge for Santorum. Casey is often called Santorum-Light. Meanwhile there is another alternative in the D's primary race, a progressive Democrat. By the Numbers.
100- The number of votes that Senator Santorum has cast in the U.S. Senate since first challenging Bobby Casey, Jr. to indicate how he would vote on the same issues.

2- The number of times that Casey, Jr. has actually said how he would vote if he were in the Senate. That was on the nomination of Judge Samuel Alito to the U.S. Supreme Court and the PATRIOT Act (but only after he flip-flopped on the issue).

86- The number of days it took Casey, Jr. to make up his mind on the nomination of Judge Alito.

10- The number of debates that Rick Santorum has proposed, and that Casey, Jr. has refused.

95- The number of days that have passed since Rick Santorum proposed a series of debates with Casey, Jr.

7- The number of days that Casey, Jr. showed up for work as State Treasurer in December.

91- The number of days Casey, Jr. spent away from his State Treasurer office between March and December of 2005.

839- The number of audits that Casey, Jr. left unfinished when he left the Auditor General's office.

5- The number of statewide races that Casey, Jr. has run in the last 10 years.

5- The number of issues that Casey, Jr. thinks is important enough to highlight on his campaign website. Agriculture, Energy, Health Care, and National Security are noticeably missing.

263- The number of days until the voters of Pennsylvania cast their votes for Senator Santorum, and reject Bobby Casey Jr.'s negative, issueless politics.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

who do you support in this race?

Mark Rauterkus said...

It is way to soon for ME to tell who I should support. So, officially, I'm undecided. However, there might be a Libertarian in the race. I'm not sure. This is one of those races where there needs to be a zillion signatures to get onto the ballot. But, Ken K, a Lib who ran for Governor, might be the one to get the nod from the Libertarians -- and I like him and many of his stances on the issues.

I'm very sad to see Casey play such a defensive role in the primary season. So, in that way, I'd love to see Chuck P, a professor, do very well. Now, I've got to be pulling for him in terms of emotional vibe, if there is such a thing.

The GOP senators from PA and I don't see eye to eye -- to say the least. But, officially, I'm undecided.

BTW, I did have a vote in this meeting: Chuck Pennacchio was endorsed for US Senate (26/34 votes) My vote went with the winner. So, that's a tiny bit more than just emotional vibe. But, I'm not really with a vote as I'm not a Dem.

flyingoyster said...

I, too prefer Pennacchio over Casey, but would hold my nose and vote for Casey over Santorum.

I'm all for differences of opinions, especially in politics but to even consider a vote for Santorum raises questions in my mind. He is hypocritical in ways that make most Western Pa. Democratic machine old timers look like angels. His unholy alliance with the right wing. His lies. His cloak of "Christianity". Santorum is what Sinclair Lewis warned us about when he said "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." I truly believe Santorum is the closest thing to pure evil I have ever witnessed in politics.

Simply put, he is toxic to democracy.

Mark Rauterkus said...

Hi Flying O.... Don't read into things that are not there.

"... to even consider a vote for Santorum raises questions in my mind."

Now, I'm not going to ignore spin -- so some of it might show up on the blog. But, talk and postings is a long way from considering a vote.