Thursday, May 07, 2009

The Bike Pittsburgh Blog Archives � Bike the Vote! Pittsburgh’s Democratic Mayoral Candidates Answer Questions from BikePGH

Of course cycling is a political issue.
The Bike Pittsburgh Blog Archives - Bike the Vote! Pittsburgh’s Democratic Mayoral Candidates Answer Questions from BikePGH: "Cycling is a political issue."
Just yesterday I sent out a tweet that Rev. Ricky Burgess, city council district 9, was against the bike lane on East Liberty Blvd. He would have worked hard to stop it too, so he said. Because, the people in his district do not use the bike lane, so he thinks.

I'm not saying that the bike lane is done well -- or not. But, I reported that interesting fact. It is fair to say that he is a politician that can be hostile to bikes.

Next, onto the comments from the blog.....

2 comments:

erok said...

i'd be interested to know more about what burgess said.

Mark Rauterkus said...

They were talking about Baker's Square and the need now to widen the road(s) along Mellon Park. I think that they are going to put in a mixed use path / extended sidewalk??

The discussion also included the outrage of Patrick Dowd and his eventual "NO" vote because the public subsidized parking garage at Bakers' Square does NOT have a more direct connection to either of the bus-way bus stops that are about 1/4 mile away.

Zip wire I guess. ???

The bike lane statement was a bit over the top to me -- but -- I don't have a clue as to if the bike lane is done well or wrong. I"m not sure of it. Sorry.

I do know that if I was mayor, we'd make it a goal to increase bike spaces by 100-fold -- if not more. There is much to do for the city -- and I loved being in Christchurch, Beijing, Chengdu and other places with significant bike treatments.