Thursday, May 31, 2007

David C. Adams says the race for the 9th City Council District is FAR from over

Can you tell me why the media seems to think this race is over before it has begun?

It is far from it.

Mr. Burgess is not the only candidate for the 9th district. He did get 50% of the vote in the district, but 50% of what?

Don't be proud to throw those numbers around since only 23% bothered to vote at all. Wow! A whopping 11.5%. What's that? Laziness or apathy or stupidity. Doesn't sound like apathy.

You have to pay attention to the issues so you can say whether or not you are fed up. no one is interested in this boring race. Forgive me if I have a hard time believing that 11.5% voted for Mr. Burgess and the other 88.5% of the voters were conscientious objectors who chose to stay home.

City Paper was aware that a Republican, David Adams, was in the race as a "R" -- and he was in attendence at the last debate. But just after the debate, David changed parties and is still in this race as an Independent.

Plenty of people, from the district and throughout the city would like to see Mr. Adams be afforded the opportunity to discuss his plans for the 9th district. Let this be a fair and interesting fight.

The campaign manager for David Adams Sherbi Davis 412.242.8752/412.478.1526

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I hope that this race is not a fight at all. Both candidates should simply present to the electorate their plans for improving the 9th district and then allow the voters to decide. The 9th district can not afford a campaign filled with personal attacks; we as a district have too many larger problems to solve: economic development, crime prevention, violence reduction, and ensuring quality education stand out among a host of other issues. Even more than these issues, there are many in the ninth district who need hope; because our district has went without our fair share of government resources for so long, many in the district are disillusioned with and distrustful of government, thus inducing the apathy that can lead to low voter turnout. Whoever wins the seat must work towards securing resources for the district and reestablishing the belief that the city government does benefit the district. Again, in light of the major challenges the 9th district faces, it is my hope that the only fights in this campaign are ideological ones about what is the best way to improve our community and the city as a whole.

Matt H said...

If you don't think that Burgess doesn't have this wrapped up your nutso.

Anonymous said...

Because Burgess has a little bit of a name in his own community and the other guy doesn't. He couldn't even run a legitimate campaign as an "R."

Plus, that's an overwhelming "D" district, something like 1,000 thoughtful thinkers to 1.

Mark Rauterkus said...

The first person in the posting above was right on, smart and had the best statements.

Meanwhile, Matt H calls names, "nutso." Far from the first observation.

The district is what it is -- because it is so heavy with one party. The dominant party thinking helped to insure that the 9th district is what it is today.

Mark Rauterkus said...

Charlie Deitch from the Pgh City Paper, it seems, has contacted Mr. Adams and his campaign to follow up on this thread.

The reporter did cover a debate among candidates in the May race in d 9. Mr. Adams was mentioned in the City Paper's pre-election story.

That story was about the crowded Democratic primary and it was published that whoever got the D nomination would likley facing Adams in the fall.

Of course, the Allegheny County Elections Division does NOT have any info regarding write-in candidates. So, that is often used as an excuse to only cover who the journalist want to cover.

Mr. Adams is in the process of sitting down with interested reporters in the hopes that a piece or three will be done about his candidacy.

In the pre-primary period, there was a lot of buzz about the race on the streets, but little real coverage about the challengers.

Now is the time to consider what the race will be like in November. And, with fewer people, they can give real coverage to the people seeking that position -- and their ideas, of course.

Mr. Adams should be sitting down with different folks in the media now and talking about the campaigns and strategy moving forward.