Monday, September 18, 2006

Calling HTML and Blogger code angles

Before I retire to watch the Steelers on Monday Night Football, I'm asking for a little help.

Q#1: I'd love to embed the video from Blip.TV into the blog postings. What is the right code to make that happen?

With YouTube, they give a handy code snip for cut and paste to embed the player.

But, ...

Q#2: With YouTube, how do you manage the size of the object window so that the videos don't get too big and look so fuzzy. You'll see on my video, often taken with a Sony digital camera, that I'm able to get rather small, postage sized video clips. But, when they come into the web via YouTube, the frame gets larger and the imgages look rather ugly.

Are there some code tips or settings that can be managed in YouTube to get smaller reditions -- or accurate renditions of videos uploaded there?

I did touch up the object pixel size in the one video below, but it didn't change anything. Perhaps because my cache wasn't cleared?

Thanks in advance.

4 comments:

Maria said...

The clarity of a youtube video is dependent on file itself -- some are quite crisp and others look like...

However, when you display one on your own site, you can control its size the same way you can control the size of a .jpg: with the width command.

Read the code to embed a youtube video. They are all set to the same size (width="425" height="350"). Just change those numbers to change the size that's displayed.

Mark Rauterkus said...

Thanks. So far so good. I've made some adjustments.

Follow-up. Is there a way to tell, easily, the resolution (pixels) my video after, or before it is uploaded to YouTube, and / or Blip.TV?

Then I'd have the numbers I should use on my site so the distortion isn't so drastic?

I think these params are set by my camera settings. But, how can I note them in the files on the YouTube site?

Anonymous said...

For blip.tv, click on the export button. Then click on the copy and paste tab. You should get a box full of code to paste into your blog.

I can't help much with the resolution issue. If you're recording at the same setting, adjusting to the same size should give you a consistent on-screen resolution.

Maria said...

"Follow-up. Is there a way to tell, easily, the resolution (pixels) my video after, or before it is uploaded to YouTube, and / or Blip.TV?"

I don't know what the answer to that is, but a work-around would be to play the video right on your PC (say in Windows Media or Real Player) and take a screen capture/screen snap and then crop it to just the video and then you should be able to find out the pixels of the resulting .jpg in Photoshop or in the details of the file info right in Windows.

"But, how can I note them in the files on the YouTube site?"

I don't know that you can change the size that's displayed on YouTube itself (I suspect that you can't), but you can mention what size it's best viewed in the notes section on YouTube.