Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Race -- a 1.4 mile fun run

Erik, 10, and I ran a 1.4 mile fun run on Tuesday morning. At the start, I told him I'd give him a :45 second challenge. If he ran to a final time that was within :45 seconds of my finish, he'd be the winner. If the finish times were more than :45 apart -- I'd call it my victory.

My time was 11:04. I went a bit too fast in the first 200-yards. Plus, some of the hurt from the Triathlon, just 2 days prior, was brewing in my legs.

At the turn-around, I was impresed with Erik's position. I had a good lead over him and wasn't going to loose to him -- but he was chugging along.

Meanwhile, there were a number of real runners in the race -- fast. I was way out of touch with them, for sure. The winner went less than 6-minute mile pace. The second place finisher is headed into his senior year of high school and runs cross-country and track (400 and high jump). He also is a wrestler and is gonig to be a Marine. The 3rd place finisher does Ultras and wants to come down to qualify for the Boston Marathon at the Johnstown Marathon this fall. In the end, I was 8th, but not near any of those leading me.

Just before the home stretch of the race, friends were on a bench cheering. I asked, "Do you see Erik?" They said, 'NO.'

At the finish, Erik was 11:35, within the :45 margin. He wasn't seen when I asked the question -- but he came streaking by just after. Erik picked up a metal for the 'first youth.' I got a blue ribbon for first in 45-49.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, how hard is it to maintain a 6 minute mile pace for 3 miles?

Mark Rauterkus said...

Very, very hard. Impossible for most.

Not many can go past 100 yards at a 6-minute per mile pace.

In my best days as a grad student in Physical Education -- one who did a Marathon on a lark even -- I could NOT maintain 6-minute per mile pace for 3 miles. No way.

The difference between 5:50, 6, and even 6:10 or 6:15 are all large steps in terms of intensity and ability.

One needs to be very well trained to get into those time ranges for a mile. To be into 3 miles at those paces, you'd need to be a well trained runner or aerobic / endurace athlete.