Tuesday, April 01, 2008

I would adopt a mailbox

I'm impressed. Bruce Kraus is trying to do something that can help.

This isn't even an April Fools gag.

I would adopt a mailbox by my house. It sits at 12th and Bradish Street.

The will of council is asking the US Postal Service for the opportunity to establish an
'adopt a post box program.'

Postal police were in the North Side on a sweep looking for the jerks who shot a postman in the hand recently.

I knew Kraus would be good at lint picking. It is his "passion." It has never been worse. Kraus would be great as a litter czar.

The program works in other cities. It isn't original. Bring it on. And, spread it to the other elements in the neighborhoods, such as traffic light switch boxes, etc.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/bronx/2007/09/25/2007-09-25_volunteers_tackle_graffiti_on_mailboxes-1.html

Paint is not the problem solver, enforcement is...

Boy, this is going to solve all our problems!

HKyriazi said...

Mark, did you mean "nit-picking"? And I'm surprised that you scoff at problems of graffiti and litter. (Both really hurt our visual environment.) In any case, the folks in NYC are right, in that the only way to discourage graffiti vandals, other than by somehow arresting them in the act, is to quickly paint over their work. I applaud those NYC residents who're participating. (I do the same sort of individual activism WRT picking up litter discarded by Schenley HS students who walk along my street. The more litter there is, the more they feel it's OK to add additional litter to the mess.) In both cases -- litter and graffiti -- even as a libertarian, I think it's reasonable to post video cameras to catch the culprits. It's just like having nosy neighbors around, looking out their windows, and is something we humans have always faced during our long evolution. That's one of my standards in terms of what should be allowed -- have we always faced the same thing before? I.e., is it natural?

Anonymous said...

My mailbox is located on my property, so if someone would be foolish enough to tag my mailbox, they'd be facing far more than a paintbrush. Enforcement and being a presence in the areas are the keys. Save the paint!