Thursday, March 23, 2006

Crossey can't run for seat in 27th District, judge rules

Too bad for Mike Crossey. But, there were and still are too many folks in the hunt for that seat. To beat the pay-jacker who is in that seat now, you have to put all the opposition on the back of ONE challenger.
Crossey can't run for seat in 27th District, judge rules The withdrawal means Mr. Maher will have no opposition in the primary or general election.

But the big problem with the news is in the article in the line above. John Maher of the State House might still have an opponent in the GENERAL ELECTION. The petitions for getting onto the ballot are not due yet. A Libertarian, Indie, Green or Socialist (yeah right) could still get onto the ballot.

Well, a Socialist might not be such a bad idea now that USC (Upper St. Clair) is in such a tizzy with its I.B. program.

People without in-party opposition and people without other major party opposition can still face opposition in the general by third party challengers.


Anonymous said...

I don't feel bad for Mike Crossey at all, he clearly didn't live in that district and the judge agreed.

Mark Rauterkus said...

Does Crossey live in the district where John Maher lives? Wouldn't it be a hoot to have him run in another district then?

Mark Rauterkus said...

Yes, the petitioning period is over, but you can still run for office.

First, if there is no candidate in either the Democratic or Republican primary in your district, you could wage a write-in campaign. Check the Department of State’s list of candidates to see if there’s an opening. If so, you’re in luck!

All you have to do is convince at least 300 voters in your party and district to write in your name if you want to run for the House of Representatives. You’ll need to convince at least 500 if you’d like a Senate seat.

With the expected changeover to electronic voting across most of the Commonwealth, writing in a name at the primary will be MUCH easier in 2006 than ever before!
Department of State Candidate List (PDF file)

Run As An Independent or Other Party Candidate!

To run as an Independent or other party candidate, you’ll need to make sure you are registered to vote under that affiliation by April 17. This means you won’t be able to vote in the primary election, but it’s a small trade off to make yourself eligible to run. If you are thinking about running, getting your voter registration switched NOW is critical!

Independent and other party candidates have until August 1 to collect the required number of signatures to get their name on November’s general election ballot. The number of signatures required varies from district to district. Contact PACleanSweep to find out how many you’ll need.