Saturday, April 16, 2005

Words to a new song by Dan Sullivan about Bob O'Connor

Dan is crafting the release of a parody to the tune of "I'm Just a Girl Who Cain't Say No," from *Oklahoma!* The words capture O'Connor's irresponsible behavior. He writes that he expects to record it and put it online. Maybe he'll sing it at public events.

If you want to help, he is looking for O'Connor images (photos, etc.) and he is gathering data to substantiate O'Connor's giveaway mentality. It's common knowledge, but it is more powerful if documented.

I pointed Dan to the recent article in the City Paper about Keith T's efforts to gather various "commercials" and air them in a show of some sort. Keith and I were workers in the PCTV show, The Art of News.

I too hope to get an ad to Keith shortly.

FYI, the "POL" in this case is politician.


I'm Just a Pol Who Cain't Say No
© 2005 Dan Sullivan
(412) OUR-LAND (412) 687-5263

It ain't so much a question of not knowing what to do.
I know'd what's right and wrong since I been ten.
I heard a lot of stories and I reckon they are true
About how city councils overspend.
I know I mustn't fall into the pit,
But when I'm in campaign mode I fergit.

I'm just a pol who cain't say no,
Spendin's my favorite game.
When I control some public dough,
I hand it out without shame.
When a big shot wants a subsidy,
I know I orta tell him, "that's to bad."
But whenever someone pressures me,
I always get afraid to make him mad.

I'm just a tool when lights are low.
I cain't be frugal and tight.
I ain't the type that can fight.
I cain't insist on what's right.
I cain't say no.

What'cha gonna do when a feller wants money
And starts to talk funny, what'cha gonna do?
Supposin' 'at he says he's so good for your city,
Appeals to your pity, what'cha gonna do?
Supposin' 'at he says things you shouldn't believe,
Like if his team leaves you'll die?
I know what to do when he talks that way,
Slice up the pie!

I'm just a pol who cain't say no.
Cain't seem to say it at all.
Lobbyists get me all aglow,
When they are payin' a call.

For the press I talk of budget bloat,
A-blaiming all our problems on the mayor.
But when it comes time to cast my vote,
Good sense evaporates into thin air.

I shouldn't cave right in I know,
Our city's plight is no joke,
But saying no makes me choke,
That's why the treasury's broke,
I cain't say no.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for you jokesters to be crying on election night when none of your candidates win.

Mark Rauterkus said...

I'm not going to cry on election night. I didn't cry four years ago when I losts by fewer votes than Bob's loss. I was quick to NOT call for a recount.

Calling Dan a "jokester" is good -- in that you seem to see the humor in the song. It is a nice chuckle. We'll hear what comes out with the production of of the tune and a web replay, perhaps.

To cry -- come now.

I'm going to figure that the one's who are crying now are the 6,000 who have gone up for a sherrif sale. Or, tears might flow from the building owners of the downtown skyscrapers who have seen the value in their buildings drop by half. In turn, more of the tax bill goes to the little guys -- like us in the neighborhood as buildings are sold on the cheap and drop in value. The ohters who might weep are those with downtown office spaces that can't be leased.

Too, lots of heartache comes as families and friends are split with people moving away -- for jobs -- for employment -- for propsperity.

The economic blues are serious and the winners in the election might be clueless in terms of fixing the system.

Every dog has its time in the sun. Tom Murphy's time was way too long. Bob's may arrive.

Ta.