Friday, September 14, 2007

Pick one for a road trip

Baku, Azerbaijan;
Chicago, US;
Doha, Qatar;
Madrid, Spain;
Prague, Czech Republic;
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil;
Tokyo, Japan


Those are the cities that have put into the IOC to host the Olympic Games in 2016.

I've been to Japan, for a few hours. Nagano was more than okay as a host city, but recent. We nixed a trip to Brazil for next month. The airport scene there isn't good. But, there is some hope that the runways will be in order in a couple of years. We went to Prague -- a city that should be spelled Praha, as it is really called. Praha has a wonderful velvet revolution story to tell the world. And, for many periods it was a battle ground of civilizations. Qatar is not with much interest to me, except I think CMU has a branch campus there, right? Chicago is always a great place for a road trip. I met my wife when we both lived there. But the debt with the Olympics is too much for any American city to bear, sadly. So, I'm torn about that vote. Baku?

Where would your vote go for an Olympic road trip, and why?

I'm still on the fence, (photo above).

2 comments:

Matthew said...

If you're going to make such a big deal about Prague being Praha, you really should say Česká republika instead of Czech Republic.

Mark Rauterkus said...

Good keyboarding.

Yep. You are right.

I just love the word, Praha.

What do others from around the world call "Pittsburgh?" Do they change the name of American cities in foreign lands?