Saturday, March 05, 2005

Burnt out -- not me but many others.

This email came from a contact:Could you please remove my email from your list as I am leaving CMU. ITs not that I disagree with your observations its just that I have finally reached the age where I am so sick of County and City polotics, I can devote one more square inch of my stomach lining to them. The assessments really crown the bunch though.

But alas its too late to save the city or the county. They are done. Both have successfully put a sign up saying "Go Away" or "You'd have to be crazy to work or live here." I admire your energy. I have lost it over planning and zoning issues and crime
Its someone elses battle now. See you sometime under better circumstances like downtown slipping into a sink hole.
Sadly, these types of emails are all too normal.

People vote with their feet. Too often the feet are taking the worn away from the city.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would be interested if this person is willing to share some additional nonspecific demographic details like age, degrees, born in PIT, or not, where they moved to. It is probably too late to collect/ask for this info.

My impression is the exodus is now at a natural steady state. People leave shortly after they get a degree. Back in the 70's, and 80's, almost every age, and skill was leaving.