Wednesday, February 02, 2005

No TIFs

The Allegheny County Council voted to approve the TIF at Deer Creek last night. I was there to wintess it. Last month I spoke before council at the public hearing.

Cheers to David Fawcett, R, and Rich Fitzgerald, D, for the votes against the TIFs.

Wayne Fontana, Dem, and possible candidate for PA Senate, in the race I'm already in, voted in favor of the TIF, providing the corporate welfare deal for infrastructure.

Another worry, unspoken, includes the view that as the politicians become developers then the developers become the ones that govern. A role reversal occurs that isn't healthy. I want to see the elected politicians govern and the investors, developers, business people do their work in the economy. As they merge into the council meetings, and council worries about levels to the marketplace or profits -- then real trouble looms larger.

For example, the new strip mall is going to now include two clasrooms. A slice of the school is going to be among the stores and food court. Why in the world would we put two classrooms in a mall?

Most knew that the TIF was going to be approved. I'll fight another day. But it was interesting to see the TIF evolve to include various other treatments to the project from the outset, years ago. The opposition got a pound of flesh, so to speak.

I made a handout and passed it around to those there. It will also go to others such as Democracy for America crew as they don't want to see corporate welfare expand, as will happen if either of the old party candidates get elected to the PA Senate. The county chair of the Republican party, Bob G, was at the meeting to insure the TIF passed.

My statements are simple:

Too many TIFs are failures.

TIFs represent poor economic policies.

TIFs hurt our market place.

TIFs for sprawl are the worst.

My opponents support TIFs while I have been and will continue to fight TIFs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lance: To Allegheny County Council. It might go down in history as the most economically ignorant vote in the council's history -- a $22 million tax break for a shopping center complex that likely will transfer more wealth than it creates. Council President Rich Fitzgerald, a Democrat, and Councilman Dave Fawcett, a Republican, got it right: Deer Creek Crossing will "cannibalize" existing retailers. In a word, approval of this tax-increment financing package was stupid.

Mark Rauterkus said...

Tuesday, February 01, 2005 8:18 PM
To: David Fawcett
Subject: Thanks for you vote and ten points against the TIF at Deer
Creek

Hi David,

Thanks for the "no" vote on the TIF.

I agree, that we don't level the playing field by doing more wrongs. We've punished the market place enough. The way to level the playing field is to NOT do any TIFs.

That's my opinion. I'm an adult. I'll live to fight another day and move along.

- - -

I'd really like to get a copy of the river park. I understand you've been
busy. Me too. I'm gearing up for a run for PA Senate.

Ta.

Mark Rauterkus http://Play.CLOH.Org http://Rauterkus.blogspot.com
xCoach@Rauterkus.com http://CLOH.Org http://Rauterkus.com
412-298-3432 = cell

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind words. I want to thank you, too, for your willingness to stand up and be counted on this important issue. Although I have seen many improper TIFs, I also am seeing a growing protest that surely will help to curtail the county's ill-advised and shortsighted support of retail greenspace developments and other ridiculous subsidies.

I appreciate your concern and your encouragement.

Dave Fawcett
At-Large Member
Allegheny County Council