Thursday, February 10, 2005

PG letter to editor about the defection of Diven

Letters to the editor: 2/10/05: "We are Democrats

With Michael Diven's recent move to the Republican Party, he has in effect decided for me and thousands of other devoted Democrats who voted him into office that our vote should have instead gone to boost the Republican majority in the Pennsylvania House and Senate ('Brookline Democrat Diven Switches to GOP,' Jan. 30). What? As once said by Helen Keller: 'Our democracy is but a name. We vote? What does that mean? It means that we choose between two bodies of real, though not avowed, autocrats. We choose between Tweedledum and Tweedledee.' But in voting for Michael Diven, I in fact voted for both Tweedledum and Tweedledee, and now see that I did in fact choose a real and avowed autocrat.

Apparently it does not matter to Michael Diven that we who elected him are loyal Democrats, committed to the ideals for which the party stands, and that to us, the designation of 'Democrat' is far more than a name. Mr. Diven is an ingrate to believe himself to be bigger than the vote of the little folk who elected him. He is a fool to believe himself above the values for which the Democratic Party stands, and for which I faithfully place my vote.

He has no concept that he was elected to a public service position and has showed his complete disregard for the will of the voters.

When my street is not paved in the summer or cleaned in the winter, when our local businesses and schools are shutting down, when my neighborhood is overrun with crime, when I cannot afford my public transportation or when I cannot sell my house because my property value is decreasing, I am certain that the Republican majority will stand up and fight for me, since the avowed autocrat-elect, Michael 'Tweedledee-Tweedledum' Diven, upon his personal volition, has decided that I and my fellow lifelong Democrats would be better served by Republicans.

KAREN WAIGHT
Democratic Committeewoman
22nd Legislative District
Beechview

No comments: