Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Do you believe in miracles?

I do.

Twenty-five years ago, I was coaching swimming as an assistant with the Ohio University men's team. We were at a swim meet at Bowling Green State Univ. BG had a player or two on the USA Squad, so the place was really buzzing.

Today, just hours after plugging in the PayPal account, we're able to report that the donation pipeline is "open and flowing."

Perhaps that's another miracle to some. To me, its not.

To mark a milestone, the Elect.Rauterkus.com campaign has already exceeded the total amount of contributions in cash from my past camapign four years ago. I ran for Mayor, City of Pittsburgh, in 2001. I was in a contested Republican Primary. Back then, I and others knew the city was in serious trouble. We needed to do something about our town before we drained the public treasury. Well, I ran for Mayor. I got 46% of the GOP vote, a percentage that was higher than my age. In that quest, I got votes city-wide for $.30 each when looking at the $ spent and #s of votes earned.

Mayor Tom Murphy and then City Council President Bob O'Connor got votes for $30 each. Do the math.

My efforts in 2001 was a "paper campaign" so I've come to discover. That's political jargon. As a rookie, I raised $600, then. Today, within a day of opening the new PayPal account -- this campaign has exceeded the amount raised from the entire duration of the last campaign.

The Elect.Rauterkus.com campaign is my second ever. It is the first that I'll be on the ballot in the "general election." To date, no Democrat has ever had the opportunity to vote for me. It is safe to say, I'm NOT running a "paper campaign" in 2005.

No online donations have yet been deposited within the Politics Online process / utility. That just got approval some hours ago. If you'd like to be the first -- please be my guest. The links follow below on this blog.

I'm here to join with others who want to shape the future. We want to make history -- not be a slave of it.

Thanks for your support and consideration.

No comments: