Monday, March 28, 2005

Tougher penalties on teen drinking and DRIVING. Okay by me.

Legislators seek tougher penalties on teen drinking "Legislators seek tougher penalties on teen drinking..."

In Norway, you never drink and drive. The DUI (driving under the influence) ramifications are much, much stronger and harsh.

I would never want to drug test a kid to have them on the school band. But, if that kid was behind the wheel and not 100% sober, watch out. I'd be in favor of a removal of the drivers license for kids for at dusk and beyond.

In another interesting twist, however, is the backlash. I'm well aware of this, I hope.

For example, today there are kids who pass out at a party and drop into a coma like state and are in serious health trouble. These kids need to be rushed to a hospital. However, they are left without aid because of the stiff fines, penalties, and other ramifications that are sure to follow. If an underage kid goes flat at a house party, the home owner is going to have some explaining to do and might be behind bars. So, the hope and gamble is to wait it out. That deep sleep with be a hangover in the morning -- or it could be a coma in another 30-minutes. Decisions were impaired long ago.

"It's one of those issues that people don't like to talk about, especially parents, but it's a serious problem,'' Logan said last week.


I care to talk about these issues. I'm not sure who doesn't want to talk about them -- other than career politicians, school officials and teens (perhaps). I welcome such conversations.

Some of the parents I know have been very concerned about drinking and drugs in light of their life with teenagers.

These would be great sideline conversations and presentations at a proposed Youth Technology Summit that I'm calling for to begin in earnest as soon as I'm elected. It could start in late 2005 or early 2006.

FYI, I was never an underage drinker. I'm too squeeky clean. I would never drive while drunk.

1 comment:

melvin said...

The legal drinking age is a limit assigned by governments to restrict the access of children and youth to alcoholic beverages.
=============================
Melvin
DUI